Wednesday, October 18th, 2017

Industrial Breakfast held at “The LC” February 23

Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017

The Huntington County Chamber of Commerce, Northeast Indiana Works (WorkOne), Ivy Tech Workforce Alliance and the Huntington County Community Learning Center (The LC) held an Industrial Breakfast at “The LC” on Thursday, February 23 to discuss workforce development and training with local industry leaders.

Special speakers for the day included Gary Gatman, vice president of strategic initiatives, Northeast Indiana Works (WorkOne) and Scott Wilson, consultant, Ivy Tech Workforce Alignment. Gatman shared that WorkOne has targeted three industrial programs that will be focused on to include: skilled industrial maintenance, CNC machining and welding. Those three curriculums are the most needed in the area, and are the hardest for local industry to find good quality employees. Wilson said that Ivy Tech has qualified skilled instructors to teach the three classes and are ready to roll out the programs in April or May of this year.

Gatman shared that WorkOne has received $800,000 to help local industry upskill their existing workforce. Mark Wickersham, executive director, Huntington County Economic Development, and Wabash and Kosciusko counties have been working together to secure grant monies from the Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA) to help with the training. Gatman said that the WorkOne grant will pay for 80% of upskilling of the employee, while the OCRA grant may be able to fill in the remaining 20%. Gatman continued, “Huntington is very fortunate to have a top-notch facility such as The Learning Center, because there is no other like it in the region. You should be taking advantage of the center and the $800,000 in grant money to upskill your “rock star” employees. This is a chance to have your employees trained for free, and this opportunity does not come along often.”

Those interested in more information about industrial maintenance, CNC machining or welding, contact Gatman at (260) 399-0671, or call the Learning Center at (260) 356-2858 and ask for details or visit the website at http://huntingtonlearning.org/.

Shown in the photo is Gary Gatman, vice president of strategic initiatives, Northeast Indiana Works (WorkOne) as he speaks to the 21 industry leaders that attended the Breakfast on Thursday morning at “The LC.”